So, today is my last day in my home town for a while. Tomorrow, I leave to travel to my summer internship at Dow!!! I'm rather excited for the switch from real world problems in an academic setting to those posed by private industry. A copy of the job description is after the jump. From what I can gather, I will be assisting with designing and implementing data analysis systems for experimental data using JMP, a powerful and flexible statistical analysis program. This will be really interesting, as a long time interest and hobby of mine has been artificial neural networks and intelligent control design. Stretching, flexing, and building those mental muscles will be a welcome change from my past research focus on process design for fluid phase multi-component energy and mass transfer (heat exchangers, distillation columns, liquid-liquid extraction columns, etc) in the context of use for the Unit Ops Lab. Getting a taste of work in the industry between undergrad and grad school will help me decide on which primary career path I want to take after I get my next degree: work in the general private sector or continue with academia. I'll have about ten weeks to fully immerse myself in a new set of challenges. This will be a lot of fun!
DCM Summer Intern (2012)-1203299
DescriptionDow Advanced Materials, a division of The Dow Chemical Company, develops innovative products and solutions that address societal megatrends, including Energy, Transportation and Infrastructure, Health and Nutrition, and Consumerism. We are a global leader in the major markets we serve, including electronics, building and construction, packaging, coatings, water purification, and adhesives, to name a few. Dow Advanced Materials has an exciting and challenging opportunity for a Summer Internship, located in Spring House, PA. We have an opportunity for an advanced college student or recent graduate with strong computational and information technology skill to work within Dow Coating Materials Research. The candidate will participate in the following types of project efforts:
- Developing /upgrading software tools for data mining, and modeling of coatings’ performance applications data. This includes the systematic structuring of laboratory data from conventional and high speed combinatorial experimental efforts. The intern will participate in the development of a system for harvesting, archiving and making routinely searchable and retrievable the “model” knowledge contained within multiple statistical data (JMP) models.
- Develop software to upgrade / automate innovation project portfolio management tool to integrate various databases and retrieve /display various portfolio related information in printable and presentable format.
- Work closely with portfolio manager
- Pilot and validate tools
QualificationsThe ideal candidate possesses the following skills:
- Highly motivated and results-driven individual with excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required
- Must be able to work well in teams and to work independently with limited supervision
- Maintains a high level of safety awareness and is a vocal safety advocate in all operations
- Pass a Substance Abuse (drug) screen and a medical evaluation
- Pass a background check